A friend wrote today to ask what books about missions I would recommend to his church for a missions event. I have arranged some of my favorites, old and new, in a few categories below and linked them to Amazon. This is by no means a comprehensive list, but it is a great place to start! Please feel free include your favorites in the comments below as I am always looking for something to read!
Introductions to Missions
- Let the Nations be Glad by Piper
- Introduction to Global Missions Pratt, et al.
- Missions: How the Local Church Goes Global by Johnson (forward by David Platt)
- Cross: Unrivaled Christ, Unstoppable Gospel, Unreached People, and Unending Joy by Piper, Mbewe, Platt, DeYoung, et al.
- Something Must Change: A Call to Make Your Life Count in a World of Urgent Need by Platt
- Evangelism: How the Whole Church Speaks of Jesus by Stiles (and I still love his older text called Speaking of Jesus.
- The Gospel and Personal Evangelism by Dever
- God is the Gospel by Piper
- What is the Gospel? by Gilbert and Carson
World Religions, Culture, and Worldview
- One or Two: Seeing a World of Difference by Peter Jones
- The Universe Next Door by James Sire
- Engaging with Muslims by John Klaassen
- One Blood: Parting Words to the Church on Race and Love by Perkins
- In the Year of Our Lord: Reflections on 20 Centuries of Church History by Ferguson
- From Jerusalem to Irian Jaya by Tucker
- Pages from Church History by Nichols
- The 100 Most Important Events in Christian History by Curtis, Lang, and Petersen
- Pig in a Taxi and Other African Adventures by Crocker.
- We Died before We Came Here by Foreman
- William Borden of Yale by Taylor
- A Passion for the Impossible by Rockness
- In the Presence of My Enemies by Burnham
- For the Glory: the Untold and Inspiring story of Eric Liddell by Duncan Hamilton (review here)
- More about biographies here
All things Short-Term Missions can be found here.
- The Church History ABC’s by Nichols and Bustard
- Christian Heroes Series of 45+ biographies. Compelling stories for young readers (7-14ish)
- All of the books by Patricia St. John: Treasure of the Snow, Tanglewood Secret, Star of Light. . .
- Window on the World: An Operation Resource.
- More on Kids and missions here, here, and here.