People! Here is a super encouraging message from 1 Corinthians 7:25-40. This one is preached by Jared Burkholder, Grace Baptist Church’s Pastor of Outreach and Connections. I especially appreciated the fact that he started the sermon with a bit of a rift from the opening lines of “Let the Nations be Glad” by John Piper: “Marriage isn’t ultimate, worship is.”
Here are the notes that were provided in the bulletin:
Simple Sermon: Undistracted devotion to the Lord must characterize all of life.
Paul’s three main arguments:
- Our relationships do have an impact on our devotion to Christ.
- Our devotion to Christ must transcend all relationships.
- Faithfulness to Christ is the benchmark of our lives.
• An elevated purpose for singleness.
• A renewed purpose for marriage.
• A better purpose for all of life.
• Life is short, don’t be distracted.
• See your calling and circumstance in light of eternity.
• Give yourself to an eternally joyful pursuit of Christ.
Have a listen, friends–married or single, I think you will be encouraged. You can also link to Pastor David Hegg’s companion message to I Corinthians 7 here.